Philadelphia Phillies owner, Bob Carpenter, purchased Connie Mack Stadium for $1.7 million on December 10, 1954. Immediately, changes were instituted. For example, when the ballpark opened for the 1955 season, large billboards covered the outfield walls. Advertisers such as Goldenberg’s Peanut Chews, Plachter Cadillac, Alpo dog food, and Coca-Cola plastered ads on these billboards. Carpenter also installed a new straight-across fence that covered the awkward square corner in center field and lessened the distance to center field to 447 feet.